the annual UK visit

Oh my goodness, life has been so busy that I haven’t had the time to write anything here for more than six weeks … but I don’t want to miss out the highlights from my trip back to the UK.  Firstly, a reunion of pupils from my school, marking 50 years since its opening.  I was in the very first intake, and knew that at least a couple of other people from my year would be there, so I made sure I was in the UK in time to attend.  Yes, those two friends and a few more were there, including one of two others that I had really hoped to see.  Every time I thought about the reunion, I thought “please let Nicolette and/or Helen be there”, so I was thrilled when not only was Nicolette there, but she expressed having made the same wish beforehand to see me there!  A couple of my teachers also attended, and a quick conversation with my old English History teacher revealed that we shared a love of Malian music, which was quite a surprise.  This teacher asked if he could pass my contact details to my old Economics teacher, who had heard that I was on the attendee list but who was not attending himself as he now lives in Thailand.  We’ve been in touch since and I have a very strong invitation to go and stay with him and his wife in Thailand (which I may well do this coming winter)!

Next up was a concert at Milton Keynes Bowl – the only UK performance this year of the Nigerian star Burna Boy, of whom I am a huge fan.  I’d bought my ticket online the first day they went on sale, and booked myself a couple of nights in an Air BnB nearby … and thankfully the UK was having a heatwave during this period so I knew it would be warm enough, and dry, as this is an outdoor venue.

& I wasn't disappointed, he was superb!

Then, finally, I decided to go to the Matthew Bourne ballet, 'The Car Man' (to the music of the opera Carmen) at Sadler's Wells.  That was also very good - I rather wish I hadn't gone for the cheapest tickets in the very back row of the top tier!

I do love the cultural stuff on offer in the UK, sometimes makes me wish that I could be there as well as here, travelling...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Latvia tourist sites

and on into the centre of Aghanistan

visiting other spots in northern Thailand